- Clean, spacious, self-contained two-bedroom suites with full kitchens.
- Tourist accommodations in Cormack, Western Newfoundland.
- 25km from Gros Morne National Park, 20km from Deer Lake, 70km from Corner Brook.
The History of Newfoundland’s War Brides
Imagine being offered a whole new life in a brand new place. That’s exactly what happened for a group of World War II veterans and their brides.
In the mid-1940’s The Upper Humber Land Development Program was set-up to revive Newfoundland’s agricultural industry and provide opportunities for returning World War II veterans. Ex-servicemen got training in agriculture, a parcel of land to clear, a house, and new life in Cormack.
Many of their wives were ex-servicewomen from overseas. They left behind their urban homes in Scotland, England and Ireland where running water and electricity were commonplace. This was not the case in their new homes, which were isolated, cold and lacked modern conveniences. Life was hard in the early years of Cormack and many women found the harsh conditions challenging. But after living through the horrors of the war, many of them appreciated the peaceful and quiet surroundings and happily built lives here. Many of these families still live and thrive in Cormack.
Each of The War Bride Suites is named for an ex-servicewomen and the family name she took when she married. You’ll find their stories posted near the doors of the suites named after them.
|First Name||Maiden Name||Married Name||WW11 Husband||War Bride’s Home Town|
|Gwendolyn||Smith||Alexander||Samuel J||TurnbridgeWells, Kent England|
|Ellen||Timlin||Crocker||Alexander||Ballina, County Mayo, Ireland|
|Rosaline||Bullock||Gosse||George R||Norwich, Norfolk, England|
The War Bride Suites
5 guests (Suite 9b only)
6 guests (Suite 9a only)
- 10 suites available
- All suites have two bedrooms:
- one with double bed
- one with queen bed
- Rates are based on number of guests
- Maximum occupancy is four (4) guests unless otherwise noted
- Children under age two stay free
- No rollways are permitted in suites 1-4 or 5-8
- Rates are plus 15% HST
- Flat Screen TV with satellite
- Wireless internet
- Deck with BBQ
- Fire pits
- Pet friendly
- Kitchen equipped with:
- Coffee Maker
- Pots & pans